This a residential fire of a single-story ranch style home that was caused by a hoverboard battery failure while charging. The policyholders were not home at the time of the loss. The fire was significant, and the firefighters achieved access via a number of penetrations, including:
One overhead (AKA garage) door that was completely ripped down
One 3’x4′ roof penetration in the 4/12 (slope) 3-tab asphalt shingles
One window penetration through a standard 4’x5′
One exterior entry door was bashed through 3′ x 7′
The contractor was instructed to do what was immediately necessary to secure the property. In addition, the policyholder remained keen on staying in their adjacent structure that was only mildly affected by the loss. As such, the contractor was tasked with ensuring the area was reasonably safe and secure so the policyholder could maintain unencumbered access to the granny flat facilities.
If this loss was multiple stories, a high pitch roof and/or displayed clay tile shingles (or alike), substantially different concessions would be required.
This Insight Sheet exists to clarify the activities associated with the first five days of a fire loss. This does not seek to include or make concessions for all equipment and/or activities as it relates to a loss of this nature.